turbo movie review

My daughter really wanted to watch the movie turbo in the cinema so we obliged her.
As much as I enjoy watching the cartoons she watches I had the feeling that I need to bring something to eat to tide me over.
The movie wasn't so bad.
At the back of my mind, I kept on thinking how the writers would make a snail fast.
Of course, after getting over the fact that snails could talk, I still needed a reason to make sense of the premise of the movie.

I read somewhere that for a movie that has turbo for its title, the pace of the movie really wasn't that fast.
Then again, the protagonist is still a snail.
There was a moment in the movie where I was thinking how he would become fast and where the story was going to head.
When Turbo found himself inside the street racing car, again as someone else pointed out, taking a page from Spider Man getting his powers, I still couldn't make myself believe that he somehow transformed to a mini-racing car.
Then when the idea of racing in the Indy 500 came about, I still couldn't believe that Turbo could be fast enough to race against formula 1 cars.
It takes a suspension of disbelief to watch movies like this but for some reason it was harder than usual.

I was really hopeful when I saw a potential Fast and The Furious crew plot development. However, they could only take it up to a certain point. I feel like they tried that angle and then suddenly realized that they already had the big race theme they had to end up with.

But what was the lesson of the story. Was there a moral?
Some suggested that it was all about brotherhood and believing in your brother no matter how you think how out of step with reality that person is.

I think that theme was developed well but I think I was still looking for something deeper to hook me to their story. I guess for the real target audience they were able to like the character enough. If they got my daughter to like what I perceive to be a boyish movie then I guess they did a good job.




Comments

Popular Posts